Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Huaraz Day Two

The first day in Huaraz was so weird because we had gotten there in the morning and it felt like we had been there for a really long time already! The second day was a little more routine.
Emily and I woke up and had absolutely no idea what time it was because we couldn't figure out the alarm clock. We got ready anyways and met Dad and Jorge for breakfast. I love Peru's continental breakfast buffets. There's always good bread and rolls and fresh fruit. I got to eat some more of Huaraz bread. It's round and looks like a roll. Inside, it's hollow!! I loved it! (I love Peru's food--lots of carbs...potatoes, noodles, rice, bread...all my favorites!) Well I could go on and on about the food, but I won't this time. After breakfast we met Yenina at her house before getting into a taxi to set off for another community. Yupa is higher up than Challhua. I was again amazed at the beauty of Huaraz and the surrounding area. I just really couldn't believe that I was there! The taxi ride was about half an hour, but that was only because we were on a rocky dirt road practically all the way. I really didn't mind; I was too busy looking out the window. I had to wear my sunglasses a lot in Huaraz because we were closer to the sun by almost 11,000 feet. My eyes just aren't used to how bright it is there. (Sunscreen was a must-have too, yet I still managed to get sunburned..ugh) Anyway, we met Yenina and some other young women up near Yupa. We went to visit a church that a group of volunteers helped the people to rebuild; I think the roof caved in on the old one. The church sat on the side of the huge hill with a great view. Wow, I just realized I did not post any pictures on the last post. I'm sorry! Wow. Okay, I will post some after this post (or post a link to a Facebook album or something).
Back to Yupa. Dad asked about stuff that students could help with in the community. He also inquired of the parasites in the area...I couldn't name them from memory, but I do know that most parasites that are a problem come from the water sources or the food. As for the water, there's nice rivers from melted snow off the mountains. However, people use it for everything...from washing dinner (whether it's vegetables...or freshly-butchered meat...), to cleaning clothes, to bathing, to using it as a toilet---you get the picture. So the water just keeps getting dirtier as it flows on. By the time it reaches places like Challhua, it's not so clean. All kinds of critters get in the water, hence the parasites. People also get parasites by eating plants or eating animals that are the parasite hosts. That's such an easy way to get infected. Then the parasites get into your digestive system and larvae grow in your intestines, etc. And also a lot of kids run around without shoes, so I don't even want to think about the hookworm issues. So that's part of what I know about parasites in Huaraz. Now you know (but probably wish you didn't just read all that :)
After Yupa we went to lunch and had some free time (most of which I spent catching up with stuff at home through Facebook...I need to work on my time management a bit). In the afternoon we went back up the mountain to visit Diana Morris at the Lazy Dog Inn. Again, I cannot even express the beauty of the area; pictures don't do it justice. Huaraz looks like it belongs on a postcard! We took a taxi up for about 40 minutes to get to the inn. I think my sister Emily was a little nervous; she doesn't like heights (or dirt roads snaking up the sides of mountains). The drive was worth it. Dad got really good information about what the area needs and what kind of work Diana and her husband Wayne do (they're with the Andean Alliance people). I really enjoyed meeting Diana; she's very interesting and had a lot of good things to say. I am just meeting cool people all over the place! We got to see part of the inn and take pictures, especially of the view. From their front porch I could see a mountain pass! I was officially jealous :) I know a lot of people that would love to stay at their inn, and I don't blame them AT ALL. Here is a link to their website: http://www.thelazydoginn.com/ Oh stink. That isn't quite a link, but it's the website anyway. Copy and paste!
That evening Emily and I were reluctant to go but went anyway to a small party with Yenina and some of the young women and other people we didn't know. Dad needed to talk to some doctors that were going to be there. So we went and sat and socialized. Not really. I would have, but it was hard because I had NO IDEA what anyone was saying! Now if that wasn't motivation to continue with Spanish, I don't know WHAT is! I picked up some verbs, adjectives, and adverbs; that's it. Emily and I were at first like "oh my word this is so awkward." I convinced her that this was something we could laugh about in the future. I can still picture us sitting there, having no idea what anyone was talking about. Later Emily proved her FMT worth when she sang "America the Beautiful" in front of everyone. I chimed for the last line. Everyone said that her voice was beautiful; I was proud (and also hoping that I wouldn't be asked to sing. haha). The evening got better and better as we sang songs in English like "Momma Mia" and "Under the Sea." Cynthia (one of the doctors) played her guitar; she was really good! She sang a lot of songs I didn't know, so I guess I'll have to brush up on "American songs..." Hmmm. I had a good time after the initial awkward/clueless combo.
That was a great day! I loved seeing more of the area. I wish I could have video cameras in my eyes; it's hard to get the picture without actually being there. Please pray for the people who are sick or not in good houses.
keep reading for the third day!!
Mags:)

No comments:

Post a Comment