Friday, January 8, 2010

Settling In

We are starting to get into a routine, but come Monday we will really dig into it. The plan is to do chores and errands in the morning and school in the afternoon after lunch. (I know all you students are extremely jealous, and I'm sorry...but not enough to change the plans.)

Two nights ago our friend Giugliana (pronounced Julie-ana)came over with a girl from one of the homes my church does work with. Yolanda is 18 and has twin boys, Miguel and Esteban, that are 5 years old. Please pray for them as they are moving out of the home into a new apartment. We all went out to the mall that is on a cliff-thing overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Larcomar a really nice outdoor mall that is about a mile or so away from our apartment. We got pizza from Pizza Hut and had a great time, despite the language barrier (but Giugli translated, so it was okay. also I used my limited Spanish knowledge to pick out words here and there.) The twins love pizza, and they were so excited about it. Each had about four pieces...they also enjoyed the ice from their Pepsi. They kept yelling "hielo!!" (although I thought they were saying yellow until I looked it up.)Miguel and Esteban do not have a dad around, so they love my dad--they came into our apartment and said "ERIC, ERIC!!!!"

Yesterday afternoon my dad met with his friend Jorge at the apartment, so the rest of us went out for a walk in a park that is near to our house. It overlooks the ocean and is pretty nice. We just have to cross three roads to go there. One of them is pretty busy, so our family makes up names for it; today it was "The Path of Death." (named by yours truly :) It's actually not that horrible; you just have to know when to cross. The Peruvians like run out in the middle of the street. They are really confident, while all the Americans wait for five minutes to cross.

So we are getting used to living here already. It has only been a few days, but I think it feels like I have been away from home for a long time. I think we are all realizing that three months is kind of a long time (actually it isn't, but right now it just feels that way.) My little brother Elijah had a small breakdown yesterday about being homesick, although I think he was just tired. He was saying things like "I miss our dog" and "I want to go home!" It was pathetic, but since he is 5 I might give him a little leeway.

Thank you for praying! I miss you all (but NOT the cold weather.)
Mags:)

No comments:

Post a Comment